WAVE RIDERS PROGRAM
Your school can partner with The Community Hospice to provide grief support services. The Community Hospice's Wave Riders program is for children and teens that have experienced a death-related loss. Through art and dialogue, Wave Riders support groups provide a safe, supportive environment to help children and teens learn they are not alone; their feelings are perfectly normal, and how to express those feelings in safe and healthy ways.
A Grief Counselor from The Community Hospice will work together with your school’s Social Worker or Guidance Counselor.
We typically meet 30-45 minutes for 4-6 weeks and need at least FOUR students with completed paperwork. We need a private space free from interruptions as well as a school staff member to be present.
REQUIRED PAPERWORK FOR WAVE RIDERS COMPLETED BY THE LEGAL GUARDIAN:
• Grief Services Application (one per family)
• Statement of understanding/SOU (one per family)
• Authorization/Release for us to speak to your school (one per child)
• Telehealth agreement (in case needed)
• If we have not previously run a group at your school, please have your principal complete the Wave Riders Agreement
• We recommend our Dear Parent letter to introduce the program.
For more information including the required paperwork
contact the Pediatric Bereavement Facilitator
Julia Soto - [email protected]
or call 518-285-8100 or 518-724-0200.
All documents can be submitted online or mailed to:
Pediatric Bereavement Services
445 New Karner Road, Albany, NY 12205